Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Haami Hatte!!

As stage comes to an end, there' s definitely a lot of ups and downs. A couple of weeks ago, we had a street march in support of the coup d'etat. PCT's and PCV's are to remain neutral on all political issues (American and Mauritanian). We are also, for our safety, not allowed to attend any large gatherings of people related to a political cause. Therefore, we were instructed to stay in our houses all afternoon. This ruined my Saturday because, oh wait, I did the same thing I do every Saturday. So while it may have been an eventful day in Rosso, I enjoyed the day in front of my fan!

Speaking of the fan.... This fan that helped me survive my sauna-bedroom through stage also contributed to one of the more eventful moments of my stage. The fan had been acting weird for a few days, but it was absolutely impossible to sleep in my room without it. So, last Monday night, like every other night I've slept at my host family's house, I went to sleep with the fan in my tent. At 5am, I was awoken by my fan turning off. When I sat up and looked at it, I realized that the inside of it, most likely the motor, had caught on fire! With the speed of a gazelle, (But not nearly the grace), I opened my tent, jumped out, unplugged the fan, and yanked it out of my room. Once in the hall, the fire went out. Luckily, my tent wasn't ruined. I was fine, minus the shakes that come with watching your life flash before our eyes! Nah, it wasn't that bad! I was mostly upset that I only had five more days and no fan to sleep with! Luckily, I had a fellow PCT close by, with a great family, that let me set up my tent on their roof for the remainder of home stay. I spent the days with my family, eating meals with them, then heading to Chez Pappis for an amazing evening under the stars!

Language class came to an end, which is a relief. At the same time, I'm a little nervous to be sent out into the world of Hassaniya without Jiddou, my awesome teacher, by my side! Leaving my host family was also a point of mixed emotions. I'm definitely ready to have some privacy and quiet. But, I'll miss joking around with my sisters and mom and playing with the kids. I'll miss the maaru we il huut (rice and fish) that we ate everyday for lunch. Can't get enough of it! And they make the BEST!

Sunday, the 24th, we all got back to the center for our final days as trainees. I was really happy to see everyone and it's great just taking it easy at the center. I'd prefer the clean bathroom/shower facility at my host family to the gross options at the center.

Yesterday, my birthday!, was, for the most part, fantastic! I woke up at the center with most of my peace corps friends here (the current volunteers should be getting here for swear-in in the next day or two). Two wonderful current volunteers (from North Carolina!) baked me some cookies! I had random gifts of Mauritanian candy from various trainees. Just spending the day with awesome people made it great! I had a two quick sessions in the morning, followed by my Hassaniya exam!! I think it went well. After the exam, I opened two boxes from my mom that I had saved for my birthday. Then I relaxed all afternoon. I took a shower and went to put on the pants I've dreamed about wearing for weeks. I have not worn my jeans or black pants since Atlanta. And it looks like I won't be wearing them for quite a while! Sadly, my pants no longer fit, as I have become emaciated due to undernourishment. Skirts it is for the next two years...

About 6pm, the rainy season began in Rosso!! We were dumped on. Two hours later, it had slowed a bit, so I went to the burger joint with some friends to get burgers/kebab sandwiches. The usual 5 min walk took about twice as long. Rosso had become one big mud pit. It was pretty miserable. After a long wait, we finally got our food and came back to the center. It was worth it!! I love kebab sandwiches!! Everyone sang me happy birthday, then we tried to watch Anchorman on a projector, until the electricity went out. With the awful conditions outside (there's a lake now in front of the dorms), we had to sleep indoors. It wasn't as awful as I assumed it would be. Luckily the rains had cooled everything down, so I slept peacefully!


August 28th is the day we've all waited for since filling out our PC applications!! We get sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers!! We're just enjoying the days leading up to the ceremony and the grande fete that will follow that evening. (I'd like to give a big thank you to all of the current volunteers that are oh-so-graciously putting the grande fete together!!)

I'm not sure if I'll post again before I move to Magta Lahjar, and will not have as reliable internet. Keep in touch and thanks to everyone who sent birthday wishes!!

4 comments:

Jason's Mom said...

Great update, Biz! I know a lot of folks that have been waiting for one. About the pants, are they falling off of you now??? Miss you so much!! Mama

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I'll give you a (pretend) dollar so you can use it at Mamacita's.

This is the best blog ever. Always interesting to read. Good luck with the whole swearing in thing. And stay dry, if possible. Unless it's so hot that the dampness of rain is welcome. In which case, go play.

-shawn

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you! Good luck in your new digs!
Melissa, Michael, Raeanne & Reagan

Anonymous said...

Always great to see an update from you! You sound like you are doing great!

We love you!

Aunt Carol and Uncle Ray