Wednesday, August 6, 2008

FINALLY people know where Mauritania is!

As you all wake up in your comfortable beds and air conditioning in the country of everything, Mauritania is experiencing a coup d'etat.

Here's a good article to sum up what's happening, so I don't have to REALLY talk politics.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Mauritania-Coup.html?hp

Right now, we're not allowed to leave our town. This is not a problem, as I am stuck in Grosso until the end of August. Most of the action is in Nouakchott, and it's peaceful. Mostly, it's just exciting to be in a country that's going through a coup d'etat!! We're on "standfast"
right now, which means we can't leave our city. My dear friend is in Nouakchott, so is experiencing the coup first hand. It's cool getting updates from her! If anything gets any more intense, we'll probably be evacuated to Senegal, which we can see from Rosso. We won't complain, as a cold, refreshing beer would be the best way to pass the coup. I know, mom, that is NOT the best way to pass a coup.

On a positive note, my non-stop craving of pizza was briefly subdued. A package for a fellow PCT arrived this week, and it included pita and.....PEPPERONI!! (Note to all: you CAN send pepperoni from the US. And it's delicious. And I can NOT get pork in an Islamic Republic. HINT HINT, WINK WINK) We used the laughing cow "cheese" they sell here to make a "pizza". It was glorious. I was thankful I enjoyed it, because the next day my family ran out of money, so stopped eating for a couple of days. I was torn between frustration from being hungry and the sad realization of how poor people really are here. Of course the cliff bars my wonderful mother sent me helped me with my problem.

I hope that's some good juice to carry you guys over until my next post. The monotony of class, lunch, class, dinner, bed has finally been interrupted! Of course we're hoping it doesn't get violent and will pass quickly.

Thanks for reading, and until next time....

PS...I'd like to thank my cousin, Melissa (and family) for sending me a card!! I love cards!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST saw that on bbc!! I was like Mauritania?!?! and came strait to your blog. Crazy stuff. love you!

Fried Pepperoni said...

Stay safe, cornrow. And savor the pepperoni.

Best,
shawn

mark said...

Hey, as others are saying, stay safe. We'll have to get an address from your Mom and something NY that you'd like to be sent to you.
Take care with love,
Mark and Irene