Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Non Stop Action

As the months of waiting have dwindled down to a few days, I have been busy making the rounds to say farewell to those whose presence I'll miss for the next 2+ years. I've made a lovely map with my mad Microsoft Paint skills to illustrate the distances I've covered. It's my journey before the journey.



I left Asheville right after UNCA's graduation to move to Charlotte. With a month before my departure, I knew I'd be back. Three very special friends came from far and near to meet me in Charlotte. Then we went to my dad's house at Lake Wateree to enjoy the sunshine and some good cookin. We then headed to Charleston to have our goodbye's in the company of the ocean, whose waters I will soon see the reflection of the sunset, rather than the sunrise.

After we all parted our ways, my mom and I hopped the plane to NYC. As much as I love visiting the City, I have to admit the reason behind my trip was to see one special birthday boy and my favorite taxi cab driver. In the process, I got to go to the top of the Rock (great views!) and see some Asheville friends I hadn't seen in quite some time.

The two day whirlwind trip ended quickly and upon my return to Charlotte, did some major money spending on items needed for RIM. The next day, I was on the road again, en route to visit my grandparents in Grantham, NC (try to find THAT one on the map!) I had a nice cook out with my family, heard a great message from my grandpa, and got to meet Wilbur Shirley. For those unaware, Wilbur Shirley owns “Wilbur’s BBQ” in Goldsboro, NC, and the reason for my pulled-pork BBQ snobbiness. I’d never met him before and it was a great moment.

I had a few days to rest at home and start getting everything in order, as well as practicing my French on the Rosetta Stone (which I’ve neglected since I so graciously received it for free from the PC). The weekend was close and the mountains called. I arrived to a plethora of friends downtown. The following evening, the same motely crue gathered dressed as if they had arrived straight from the 80’s. From the western end of the state to the eastern town of Wilmington, I moved on to visit a darling friend who resides on a golf course. I relaxed by the pool and in the sand, met some nice folks, and saw the first horror movie I’ve seen in years. And hated it.

Now I’m working on Peace Corps papers, preparing for the going away party my parents are throwing me this weekend, and preparing the items I’ll be taking with me. I also hope to get one last trip into Asheville. I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to say my goodbyes. Although I’ll miss everyone dearly, it’s time to experience somewhere new. And everyone will definitely be in my heart to help me through the rough times! The next time I update, it will probably be from Africa! Wish me luck. If you want letters, post cards (if they exist), or maybe an envelope of sand, make sure you email me your physical address. Liz.laxague@gmail.com

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz,
We will be thinking about you and we wish you the best of luck and safe travel / stay. We love you and we're glad we got to see you before you left!
Michael, Melissa, Raeanne and Reagan